Updated Dec 5, 2023
This course by award winning banjo player and teacher Ryan Thomson is designed for beginners with no previous experience with claw hammer style playing. No music reading ability is needed. A left handed 5 string banjo in standard "G" tuning is required. Tuning tips are detailed.
Ryan patiently teaches the basics of left handed clawhammer techniques, sometimes described as "frailing," "rapping," and "drop thumb." Fingering techniques such as "pull offs," "hammers," and "slides," are explained and demonstrated and an easy tune is taught. 55 minutes. DVD $29.95 ISBN 978-0-931877-51-3
Secure online payment, free shipping within the USA: Click here for instructions to mail payment or figure foreign shipping costs.
From a happy customer
" My son is enjoying your first left handed banjo lesson and I'm sure once he's learned the first, he'll be wanting your second version lesson." D.T.
- Left Handed Banjo Clawhammer Style, Second Lesson, DVD. Click here.
- Complete - Learn to play Clawhammer banjo left handed Kit - includes First and Second lesson DVDs, Banjo Tab Book, Great Bay Stomp solo banjo CD. Click here.
- Great Bay Stomp CD and Banjo Tab Book with 19 tunes. Click here. - Here's a review of the CD:
"On this release, Ryan puts fiddle and band behind, and lays out 19 tracks of rock solid, solo, traditional claw hammer banjo...All are played confidently, evenly, and with a maturity that comes from living with the music over time...The impression this recording gives is that of Thomson at home, relaxing with familiar tunes, and just having a comfortable time....Great Bay Stomp CD is a solid, pleasing and highly listenable recording that stands up well through repeated listening." -
The Old-Time Herald
Want to play banjo right handed? No problem, click here!
But if you want to stick with playing music lefty, here are more resources for you:
- Left Handed Fiddling for Beginners, click here.
- Playing the Violin and Fiddle Left Handed, click here.
- Irish Fiddle, Left Handed Style, click here.